On Wed, 9 Feb 2005, Mark Sargent wrote:

Hi All,

using Fedora2 and trying to install from a .tar file. Extracted to this dir, mysql-standard-4.1.9-pc-linux-gnu-i686 where I see the INSTALL-BINARY file. Using this cmd, ./INSTALL-BINARY gives the following error,

[EMAIL PROTECTED] mysql-standard-4.1.9-pc-linux-gnu-i686]# ./INSTALL-BINARY
-bash: ./INSTALL-BINARY: Permission denied

What am I doing wrong here.? I'm rather new to Linux too. Cheers.

Mark Sargent.

Hi Mark,

the file INSTALL-BINARY is a text file that includes documentation you have to read to know how you should proceed to install the package. (with more INSTALL-BINARY, for example, quit with q).

        so read this and follow the instructions ;-)

Olivier

PS: note that if you have a RedHat based system, like SuSE, Fedora, Mandrake, that use the RPM (Redhat Package Manager), you should
download the RPM package instead.