Hi all.  Sorry if you get this twice -- it was posted to
mysql-replication earlier, but it doesn't look like that list is
really used.

I'm having a problem with my replication setup.  This is my first time
setting up replication, so this may be a simple problem.  I'm using
one master and one slave, both running debian-testing, and they both
have brand new 4.1.9 mysql installs (via apt-get).

The problem is that each time I do a START SLAVE, the I/O thread dies
almost immediately.  I can see it running only if I do START SLAVE;
SHOW SLAVE STATUS\G on a single line.

The master's log shows the following each time I START SLAVE or START
SLAVE IO_THREAD:

6 Connect     slave@<IP> on
6 Query       SELECT UNIX_TIMESTAMP()
6 Query       SHOW VARIABLES LIKE 'SERVER_ID'
6 Query       SELECT @@GLOBAL.COLLATION_SERVER
6 Query       SELECT @@GLOBAL.TIME_ZONE
6 Query       SHOW SLAVE HOSTS
6 Quit

There are no error messages in the .err file on either server, even
with --log-warnings on both.  I've added everything appropriate that
I've been able to find to my.cnf on each server (see below).

If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know -- I've been looking
through docs and mailing lists for quite some time now, with no luck.

Thanks,

Tierney

Here's what I did to set up replication:

I added / changed a number of fields in my.cnf on both machines (see below).

Master:
 Started mysqld.
 Created a new database, a new table, and put a single row in it.
 Created a slave account:
   GRANT REPLICATION SLAVE ON *.* TO 'slave'@'%' IDENTIFIED BY 'xxxxx'
 Locked the database:
   FLUSH TABLES WITH READ LOCK
 Tar'd the <data_dir>/replicated directory and transferred it to the slave.
 Checked the binlog file and position and unlocked the database:
   SHOW MASTER STATUS
   UNLOCK TABLES

Slave:
 Started mysqld.
 Set the master:
   CHANGE MASTER TO
     MASTER_HOST='<IP>',
     MASTER_USER='slave',
     MASTER_PASSWORD='xxxxx',
     MASTER_LOG_FILE='<recorded value>',
     MASTER_LOG_POS=<recorded value>;
 Began replication:
   START SLAVE;

Master's my.cnf (comment lines removed):

[client]
port            = 3306
socket          = /var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock

[mysqld_safe]
socket          = /var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock
nice            = 0

[mysqld]
user            = mysql
pid-file        = /var/run/mysqld/mysqld.pid
socket          = /var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock
port            = 3306
log             = /var/log/mysql/mysql.log
basedir         = /usr
datadir         = /var/lib/mysql
tmpdir          = /tmp
language        = /usr/share/mysql/english
skip-external-locking

old-passwords   = 1

key_buffer              = 16M
max_allowed_packet      = 16M
thread_stack            = 128K

query_cache_limit       = 1048576
query_cache_size        = 26214400
query_cache_type        = 1

server-id               = 1
log-bin                 = /var/log/mysql/mysql-bin.log
binlog-do-db            = replicated
log-warnings
binlog-ignore-db        = mysql
binlog-ignore-db        = test

[...]