"Denis Gerasimov" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote on 10/02/2005 10:59:11:

> Hello,
>
> One simple question... AFAIK I can specify value for an autoincrement
> primary key (int) when inserting a record like this:
>
> INSERT INTO `tablename` (`id`, `name`) VALUES (1, 'test')
>
> But it doesn't work for id = 0. Why?
>
> I would like to use some primary key values for special purpose, e.g. id
0
> means root/default record and so on.
> Is that recommended? Are there any alternative ways?

Autoincrement starts from 1. That is the way it is, and cannot, I think,
be changed.

I would advise against using autoincrement keys for "special" uses. This
is muddling two different functions into one. Remeber that primary keys
must be unique: if, at some time, you need to have more than one of a
"special" value, you will be in trouble. The function of autoincrement
keys is to assign unique record identifiers. Do not mix this with other
tasks.

        Alec