"Hannes Rohde" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote on 10/02/2005 11:44:13:

>    I don't think we are dealing with an IO bottleneck here because the
> slave server should quite faster with writings to the disc at least
since we
> are using Raid 0 here. Or is there any way which could explain an IO
> bottleneck even though the slave is not running as many selects as the
> master is? In this case we are talking about one replicated database on
> dedicated slave system.

As I understand the previous posts, the problem is that the replication
process is single-threaded while the updates on the original master are
multi-threaded.

On the original server, if Update 1 stalls because it has to fetch data of
disk, Update 2 can proceed. If Update 2 stalls, Update 3 can proceed - and
so on. This means firstly that Updates which can take advantage of the
cache take no effective time - they come in, do their job, and exit while
peer updates are stalled in Disk wait. This also means that lower-level
software can optimise disk performance by re-ordering IO operations to
minimise head movements. In my experience, having up to 4 parallel streams
of disk operations, and allowing the disk to pick its preferred order of
execution, usually adds about 50% to disk performance and can double it.

However, when they are replicated to the slave server, the updates are put
into a strictly First In, First out queue. If Update 1 stalls, Update 2
cannot be started - and nor can Update 3. When Update 3 does finally
start, it cannot overlap the others, so that the time it takes, albeit
small because it does not access disk, is added on to the other times
rather than included within them. And since you are performing strictly
one operation at a time (on the Updates side at least) Raid 0 does not
help you, because there are no overlapping reads to get from alternate
disks.

Alec Cawley