It means you have a problem with the way either your tables, columns,
database, or connection

Firstly do a show create table and check that the character set for the
table(s) concerned are the same and that any 'character' column has the
same set as the table.

If you set the default char set at database level and the default on the
table is different you'll need to wrap your query with a set character
set pair - the first to set it to what you need and the second to set it
back to the default.

Kevin Cowley
R&D

Tel: 0118 902 9099 (direct line)