Normally I do not reply to myself but I just realized that in my previous
response I confused COUNT(*) (which is slow for InnoDB because it always
does a table scan to resolve the version lock of each and every row) with
SHOW STATUS (which computes table sizes based on the average of 1 random
passes , like I described). Sorry to everyone I may have confused.

Shawn Green
Database Administrator
Unimin Corporation - Spruce Pine

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote on 02/11/2005 10:04:02 AM:

> YES, I need a LOT more information.  Please provide ALL the information
> asked for in my previous post (especially questions 1, 2, and 3). To
> compare with my "automobile" analogy: You told me that your auto is
towing
> a lot of identical trailers and that if you use a different vehicle on a

> different road, you can drive faster pulling the same load. Your
> information is useful as additional information but not useful to answer

> your specific question.
>
> If you want specific help about a specific query, I have to have the
> information that is specific to your query.  Comparing performance with
> another engine is not descriptive of the issues you are having. This is
> especially true for the query you give _as an example_ because COUNT(*)
is
> handled very differently in the two database servers you compared.
InnoDb
> uses versioning locks on it's records, that makes it practically
> impossible to determine exactly how many records are available to any
user
> at any one time. This improves concurrency but makes COUNT(*) hard to
> compute quickly. How InnoDB estimates COUNT(*) is by taking the average
of
> 10 random "dives" through the index tree.
>
> Please respond with the information that ANYONE (not just I) would need
in
> order to answer your questions.
>
> Shawn Green
> Database Administrator
> Unimin Corporation - Spruce Pine
>

> Shailendra Soni <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote on 02/11/2005
09:35:53
> AM:
>
> > HI,
> >
> > i give some more information about my application.
> >
> > 1) i have 41 million records , and this records are in 10 tables.so
> > each table contains arrounds 4 million records.
> > 2) Each table contains same columns definition . Total column is 61
> > and total number of the indexes column is 6.ok
> > 3)now i fired the query like "select count(*) from tablename where
> ........."
> > in where clause having allmost all columns.
> > 4) that query is fired on 10 tables from servlet with 10 threades .okk
> > when i execute , i got the result after 6 to 7 minute.
> >
> > upto that i think you get my point.
> >
> > now i want to that result will come in 2 to 3 minute.
> > is this possible in Mysql?
> >
> > also i have restored all my tables in mssql and
> > then mssql give me result in 2 to 3 minute.
> > but i can't my whole database shift to mssql.
> >
> > so
> > can you have some idea that how can i speed up my query ?
> >
> > if you want to more description then let me know.
> >
> > Thank you
> > Shailendra
> >

> > On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 11:06:04 -0500, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> > <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > >
> > > See below....
> > >
> > > Shailendra Soni <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote on 02/10/2005
> 01:43:18
> > > AM:

> > > I do not recognize that command either. Where did you find it and
how
> was it
> > > related to improving query performance?
> > >
> > > This situation is analogous to you saying to me "My car is slow, how

> do I
> > > make it go faster?". I know nothing about your table structures,
your
> > > indexes, your query, or the issue itself (exactly how slow is it?
how