It should work fine. These should execute fine on your
server:

create table yourtable(yourfield varchar(256));
insert into yourtable(yourfield)
  values (' This needs to be trimmed ');
update yourtable set yourfield = trim(yourfield);
select * from yourtable;

I'm running version 4.1.9, but I think trim() was
supported long time ago.