Hi David,

I want to import some data into my database, but it's
in an ArcView Shapefile, which I've never worked with.
Does anyone know what kind of software I can use to
access this data? Actually, I'd probably import it
into a spreadsheeet first, then save it as a csv file
and import it into my database.

I've been working on a library called libmygis which is able to read varoius types of GIS data files (mainly Shapefiles for now).

You're in luck. I've recently gotten a working version of mysqlgisimport which is able to take a SHP/SHX/DBF set and turn it into SQL directly to be imported.

You can grab the source code of libmygis at:

http://jcole.us/software/libmygis/

If you have any questions or need help getting it to work (hey, it's new!) please feel free to drop me a line. Same goes for feature requests. :)

Regards,

Jeremy

--
Jeremy Cole