Forgive me for blowing my own trumpet here.

The advantage with ShellSQL over this method is....

1 - The output is not cluttered with headers, and a means exist to easily separate fields when there is more than one column or row in the query.

2 - The connection is persistant, whereas running "mysql" for each command will open and close a connection with all the overhead that comes with that. ShellSQL also enables you to do transactions "begin" and "commit" at the beginning and end of the script.

Eddy