My understanding is that relay-info.log stores Exec_Master_Log_Pos so
in order to only use master.info in a snapshot you need to make sure
that the slave is caught up when the snapshot is taken. It's common
for the I/O thread (controls master.info and downloads logs files) to
be a few queries ahead of the SQL thread (controls relay-log.info and
executes queries).

If I'm wrong here please correct me. If you have Exec_Master_Log_Pos
you can use it for Read_Master_Log_Pos on change master command on the
new slave so it starts downloading relay logs at the proper position.

--
Eric Bergen
[EMAIL PROTECTED]