Hal Vaughan wrote:

mysqld --port=3307 --datadir=/dbtest/mysql
mysqld --port=3306 --datadir=/var/lib/mysql
mysql --port=3307
mysql --port=3306

When I do this, then do a "show databases;" in either new instance of mysql (both are open at the same time, in separate consoles), I get the databases in the last version of mysqld that I specified.

Aha. Light bulb :-)

My preference to do this is to create a complete new config file,
say /etc/alt.cnf, and use that to configure the second process.
That way you can be relatively sure there aren't any overlapping
resources.

I'll try that, in case config options can trump a command line.

They don't, but it's what you're *not* specifying here -- the two processes are sharing the default "/tmp/mysql.sock" socket, I'll wager. So the last daemon started is listening on it...

I think you'll find creating two config files will make it a *lot*
easier to get this going  :-)

FWIW!
--
Hassan Schroeder ----------------------------- [EMAIL PROTECTED]