Reinhart's request was to keep it's DATE type in place instead of changing
it to DATETIME... that's why I emphasized that DATE is better and he should
keep it that way ! (Comming back to it if I think... a DATE column beside a
TIME column would use 6 bytes... not 8 bytes as DATETIME... at 100 million
rows that would make a difference at about 190MB... Or is it "Premature
Optimization" ??)

For the optimization issue you're right...

Regarding TIMESTAMP... Reinhart didn't told us his MySQL version... as of
4.1.2 ... you have better control over TIMESTAMP columns !

Gabriel PREDA