Hello.

Full-text search successfully works on my 4.1.9-max instance:

mysql> select version();

+---------------+

| version()     |

+---------------+

| 4.1.9-max-log |

+---------------+

 CREATE TABLE `ft` (

 `a` text,

 FULLTEXT KEY `a` (`a`)

 ) ENGINE=MyISAM DEFAULT CHARSET=utf8

 $cat ftopfile.txt

 gleb

 clear

mysql> select * from ft;

+----------------------------------+

| a                                |

+----------------------------------+

| gleb manual                      |

| clear manual                     |

| cooler manual                    |

| af01e9f7ab799a2050c709ad68c3beee |

| 3aa4c2ebf3996f2754de213b527c4275 |

| 30f09732b77f417ae743a127c172a1ad |

| 30f09732b77f417ae743a127c172a1ad |

| 30f09732b77f417ae743a127c172a1ad |

| 02bb9a3b6b5c27263270116d6700ed3b |

| 02bb9a3b6b5c27263270116d6700ed3b |

| 02bb9a3b6b5c27263270116d6700ed3b |

| 02bb9a3b6b5c27263270116d6700ed3b |

| 8ca42418d6c5902249c15e24c3ca2830 |

mysql> select a from ft where match(a) against('cooler');

+---------------+

| a             |

+---------------+

| cooler manual |

+---------------+

mysql> select a from ft where match(a) against('manual');

+-----------------+

| a               |

+-----------------+

| gleb manual     |

| clear manual    |

| cooler manual   |

+-----------------+

mysql> select a from ft where match(a) against('clear');

Empty set (0.00 sec)

( 'clear' - is in the stop file).

mysql> show variables like 'ft_stop%'\G ;

Variable_name: ft_stopword_file

        Value:
/home/gleb/mysqls/mysql-debug-4.1.10-pc-linux-gnu-i686/ftopfile.txt

It works also with cyrillic words. My system (Fedora Core 3) uses UTF-8 locale.

Have you tried my format of the stopword file?

       <___/   www.mysql.com