Hi everyone,

I tried to install mysql (v3.23.30-gamma) on a SuSE Linux 7.1. Everything
seems to work fine, but whenever I start the safe_mysqld, it ends after few
seconds.

I did install the databases, but there seems to be a problem with the
directory-structure - however I have no idea how I ran into it and how to resolve
it.

Maybe that helps you understand my problem:

I did:

mysql_install_db

that worked fine.

I do:

./bin/safe_mysqld --user=mysql &

I get:

Starting mysql daemon with databases from /var/lib/mysql
mysqld ended.

so its not running.

I look in
/var/lib/mysql/bioz3-visit1.err

and it says:

010424 18:06:10 mysqld started
/usr/sbin/mysqld: File './bioz3-visit1-bin.index' not found (Errcode: 13)
010424 18:06:11 Could not use bioz3-visit1-bin for logging (error 13)
010424 18:06:11 /usr/sbin/mysqld: Can't find file: './mysql/host.frm'
(errno: 13)
010424 18:06:11 mysqld ended

But host.frm exists, it is in
/var/lib/mysql/host.frm
_and_ in
/var/lib/mysql/mysql/host.frm

So, the problem is easy: Something is screwed with my directories.

However I can not figure out

1) how this happened (I did a standart installation under YAST without any
special wishes about directories or whatever)

2) more importantly, HOW DO I GET MYSQL RUNNING !!!??? Please, help me if
you can. I really don't know what to do...

Any idea what to do? Which information do you need to help me? I have close
to zero experience with SQL, so any help is greatly appreciated!

Many thanks for your time!!

Clemens

http://www.gmx.net