On Feb 22, 2005, at 10:44 AM, Boyd E. Hemphill wrote:

I am considering the use of a new OS X machine with the Free BSD back end.
I would like answers to the following if anyone has the experience.

We use MySQL (exclusively InnoDB) on G5 XServes.

What switches should be set for compiling? I only need the Innodb storage
engine.

The MySQL installer or the MySQL binary without the GUI installer work very well. However, when we tried to increase memory assigned to InnoDB (specifically innodb_buffer_pool_size) we were unable to get past 1,536 MB (1.5 GB).

We then did a custom build using:

CC=gcc CFLAGS="-O3 -fno-omit-frame-pointer -mcpu=970 -mtune=970 -mpowerpc64 -mpowerpc-gpopt" CXX=gcc CXXFLAGS="-O3 -fno-omit-frame-pointer -felide-constructors -fno-exceptions -fno-rtti -mcpu=970 -mtune=970 -mpowerpc64 -mpowerpc-gpopt" ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/mysql --with-extra-charsets=complex --enable-thread-safe-client --enable-local-infile --disable-shared --with-innodb

This allowed us to startup MySQL fine with 2,048 MB assigned to innodb_buffer_pool_size (as someone else said it will take waiting for OS X 10.4 to get really large memory allocations to a single process).

This worked fine for the most part, but after the server had run for a couple of months (this is a reasonably large data set...110 GB, 247 qps, 70% of the queries are inserts/deletes/updates) we ran into a crash that appeared to be related to InnoDB actually using all of that memory. MySQL support looked into it and suggested that OS X is currently limited to 1.8GB in a single chunk.

At that point we reduced innodb_buffer_pool_size to 1.7 GB and the machine has been running almost 100 days without issue.

At this point the custom compile is only getting us about 200 MB extra for InnoDB, so I don't know if it's really worth it. However, it's been just as stable as the MySQL build was (we basically took the config command from MySQL's site and added Apple's suggested G5 switches) so there seems to be no harm.

Which is the best compiler to use for MySQL on an Apple machine?

We used gcc 3.3 that comes with the current developer tools/XTools.

Good luck,
Ware Adams

Best Regards,

Boyd E. Hemphill