Hi Heikki,

Thanks for the reply.

If you were charged with moving an InnoDB database with 40,000,000
records (based on an old version of one of our databases, has since
grown) within a standard maintenance slot (say up to 4 hrs) what would
you do? Are we looking at requiring a separate hardware target?

Last time we attempted an import it took 48hrs on our spare production
servers (dual xeons with gigs of ram otherwise idle).

Ordinarily I would be looking to use InnoDB Hot backup to copy the binary
files across, you say this is not possible when the target host already
runs InnoDB?

Thanks,

James

Heikki Tuuri wrote:

James,

unfortunately, you cannot move InnoDB tables in that way, like you would be able to move MyISAM tables just by copying the .MYI, .MYD, and .frm files over to the other database installation.

In the future, we may add a feature that allows one to copy 'clean' .ibd files across installations.

But presently, you must dump the tables and import them to the other installation.

Best regards,

Heikki Tuuri
Innobase Oy
Foreign keys, transactions, and row level locking for MySQL
InnoDB Hot Backup - a hot backup tool for InnoDB which also backs up MyISAM tables
http://www.innodb.com/order.php

Order MySQL Network from http://www.mysql.com/network/

----- Original Message ----- From: "James Green" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>