----- Original Message ----- From: "Daniel Kasak" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Jim McAtee" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; <mysql@lists.mysql.com>
Sent: Wednesday, February 23, 2005 2:39 PM
Subject: Re: Backup User

Jim McAtee wrote:

Is it recommended to create a MySQL user for doing backups? Running mysqldump from a script, the username and password will have to be embedded in plain text.

If I were to create a MySQL user expressly for doing nightly backups what are the minimum permissions needed?

You don't need to create a special MySQL user for backups. If you like, you can create a Linux account that only you know the password to, and then make sure the backup scripts is only readable by you ( root will also be able to read it ). Or just run the backup script as root, and then root can only read it ( you have to set the correct permissions here too of course ).

Thanks. Lets say I did this but still wanted to use a MySQL user with minimum privileges. The server is running MySQL 3.23.49 and all tables are MyISAM. It appears that I can do backups with just Select and File privileges. Somoene else suggested those privileges plus 'Lock Tables'. I'm guessing Lock Tables was added to user privileges in v4.0.

If I'm using mysqldump --opt, will tables be locked if the user only has Select & File privileges? I can't really tell if the tables are being locked when I run the command.