Hi all,

I have just created a databased website that is working with a fairly large number of records (well, 10 million records is the biggest database ive ever worked on so far) but also have a large number of searches of these records happening regularly.

The problem ive come across, is my hosting providers box is setup so that if the server load gets to 5, sendmail packs it in.

When someone does a search of the records, mysql jumps up to 100% cpu usage (which is fine) but the more searches that are being done (the website is getting more users daily) the longer the cpu is at 100% and the higher the load gets.

I have been suggested to possibly have the hosting provider look at piping mysql through the "nice" application to keep its cpu usage under control. Is this a good method and will this make a difference, or is there a better way to tune mysql to keep load down? My understanding of "nice" is that it puts mysql's cpu usage priority at the lowest. But if nothing else on the box needs the CPU, it'll still run full and bring load over 5 making sendmail crash anyway.

Any responses would be appreciated.

Regards

Chris Aitken
The Web Hub Designer and Programmer
Phone : 02 4648 0808
Mobile : 0411 132 075

Turning your business into an e-business today..... The Web Hub
http://www.thewebhub.com.au/
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Confidentiality Statement:
This message is intended only for the use of the Addressee and may contain information that is
PRIVILEDGED and CONFIDENTIAL. If you are not the intended recipient, dissemination of this
communication is prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please erase all
copies of the message and its attachments and notify us immediately