I'm working on a geologic time database and want to
ask a question about geologic time. Can/should you
apply MySQL's date function to geologic time?

In other words, if I create a field for the number of
years ago a certain geologic period began or ended -
say 260 million years ago - could I designate that
field "Date"?

I'll probably just designate a varchar field and enter
data like this:

345-250

Then I can add "million years ago" or "mya" in my PHP
script. Some scientists also use the term BP ("Before
Present," I think).

Another thing I have to deal with is units of
thousands. For example, the Pleistocene Epoch (Ice
Age) ended about 10,000 years ago.

I just wondered if anyone had any suggestions for
dealing with geologic time. Thanks.