Heikki,

> the best way would be to symlink whole database directories under the
> datadir. Then also an ALTER TABLE keeps the new .ibd file on
> the drive you
> intended it to be on. If you symlink a single .ibd file, then
> an ALTER will
> create the new .ibd file as not symlinked.
>
> As an example, let us say you have three databases: 'database1',
> 'database2', and 'test'. You may shut down mysqld, copy all
> the contents of
> /datadir/database2 to drive 2, and then symlink the directory
> /datadir/database2 to drive 2.

Hmm, ok. I have just one decent size database though. I want to split
the tables in that database between disks. I haven't turned on
innodb_file_per_table yet I'm trying to plan it out first, so I don't
know the file layout yet. If my data directory is /var/db/mysql and my
InnoDB data file is /var/db/mysql/ibdata1 then the table files will be
created under /var/db/mysql/MyDatabase/MyTable1.ibd,
/var/db/mysql/MyDatabase/MyTable2.ibd, etc it sounds like.

Is there a way to split those table files? So I could have something
like /data/disk1/MyTable1.ibd, /data/disk2/MyTable2.ibd?

Thanks for your help.

Mike