Gerald Preston wrote:
David,

I read them and installed 4.1.10 and I am back to square one:

I used the following code:

<snip>
  my $dbh=DBI->connect( 'dbi:mysql:club', 'gjwpp88', 'xxxxxxxxx' ) or die
"\n$DBI::errstr\n";

You do not specify the host, so you are connecting to the default, which is "localhost". Hence, you must be able to log in as "[EMAIL PROTECTED]".

<snip>
I have done the following with no errors!

GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON club.* TO 'gjwpp88'@'local_host';

Here, however, you create the user "[EMAIL PROTECTED]". That's not the same thing. You need to use

  GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON club.* TO 'gjwpp88'@'localhost';

See?  No underscore.

Similarly, you need to drop the underscore (localhost, not local_host) in all of the following.

SET PASSWORD FOR 'gjwpp88'@'local_host' = PASSWORD('xxxxxxxxx');

UPDATE mysql.user SET Password = OLD_PASSWORD('xxxxxxxxx')
WHERE Host = 'local_host' AND User = 'gjwpp88';

SET PASSWORD FOR 'gjwpp88'@'local_host' = OLD_PASSWORD('xxxxxxxxx');

SELECT 'local_host', 'gjwpp88', Password FROM mysql.user
WHERE LENGTH('xxxxxxxxx') > 16;

FLUSH PRIVILEGES;

I am still getting the same error I listed above.

Jerry

Michael