Hi,
I have moved my base and data directories at /data/mysql on my system and /data/mysql is owned by user mysql. Earlier these were located at /var/lib/mysql
my /etc/my.cnf has following entries:

# The following options will be passed to all MySQL clients
[client]
#password       = your_password
port            = 3306
socket          = /tmp/mysql.sock

# Here follows entries for some specific programs

# The MySQL server
[mysqld]
port            = 3306
socket          = /tmp/mysql.sock
skip-locking
key_buffer = 16M
max_allowed_packet = 1M
table_cache = 64
sort_buffer_size = 512K
net_buffer_length = 8K
myisam_sort_buffer_size = 8M

set-variable = datadir=/data/mysql/
set-variable = bdb_home=/data/mysql/
set-variable = basrdir=/data/mysql/

When I try to start mysql using
mysqld_safe & I get following error:
Starting mysqld-max daemon with databases from /var/lib/mysql
/usr/bin/mysqld_safe: line 307: /var/lib/mysql/linux.err: Permission denied
/usr/bin/mysqld_safe: line 313: /var/lib/mysql/linux.err: Permission denied
STOPPING server from pid file /var/lib/mysql/linux.pid
tee: /var/lib/mysql/linux.err: Permission denied
050306 03:33:03  mysqld ended
tee: /var/lib/mysql/linux.err: Permission denied

I tried using mysqld_safe --basedir=/data/mysql --datadir=/data/mysql --user=mysql &
Then I get error
Starting mysqld-max daemon with databases from /data/mysql
/usr/bin/mysqld_safe: line 307: /data/mysql/linux.err: Permission denied
/usr/bin/mysqld_safe: line 313: /data/mysql/linux.err: Permission denied
STOPPING server from pid file /data/mysql/linux.pid
tee: /data/mysql/linux.err: Permission denied
050306 03:08:03 mysqld ended
tee: /data/mysql/linux.err: Permission denied

It used to work fine when I had /var/lib/mysql folder still there. The data was getting written at /data/mysql. But when I moved the /var/lib/mysql folder to some other directory the problem started.
I have suse 9.2. I am frustrated trying different things and I read all I could regarding this but dont seem to point out exact problem.
I really need to get this thing done and I would really appreciate any ideas or direction.
Thanks
Kaustubh