From: Michael Loftis [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, March 08, 2005 3:23 PM
To: Daniel Fisla; mysql@lists.mysql.com
Subject: RE: mysql *SERVER* error logging

--On Tuesday, March 08, 2005 15:03 -0500 Daniel Fisla <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> Under UNIX/linux use syslog, for me /var/log/messages shows login/auth
> error
>
> Mar  6 05:39:11 orion pdns[1865]: gmysql Connection failed: Unable to
> connect to database: Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using
> password: NO)

This is client logging, I need server logging, IE real logging.  Yes this
suffices for a lot of people but not for anyone doing database hosting like
we are.

> Now for dropped sockets/connections you need to enable logging for this
> kind of thing in your connector and/or pooling software. I don't think
> this exists on the server side as it is not so simple to determine the
> actual cause.

Then something is seriously broken with MySQL if this is the case, a server
obviously knows why a client/child disconnected, and should always know
this.  It should be able to log this, especially in the case of
authentication failures.

> Let's say your router/switch drops connections, to server this looks like
> TCP socket timeouts and eventually will try to close the connection as
> such, but was it dropped or was it just left open and not closed properly
> by the client.

It's not a networking issue, wish it was, that'd be really simple to solve.
The web cluster runs identical software (totally completely identical, NFS
mounted, or imaged from a central tarball) and it's still intermittent and
happening from all the servers.  The X-Cart software that a number of
people run here can log and email errors as they happen and includes data
on where as well.  It's pretty randomly distributed.

> This is why it makes sense to track these things in your data
> connector/pooling, with your kind of load you should have this kind of
> connection tracing/logging enabled in the client side and/or middle tier
> anyway.

Can't, thousands of individual clients and software, everything from PHP
X-Cart apps, to perl and C apps.  We don't control the connecting software,
just like an FTP, SMTP, HTTP, etc. server.  Every other piece of server
software can log it's authentication issues and disposition, why can't
MySQL?  Oracle can do this, Postgres, DB2, etc etc etc.

I'm beginning to think that I'm going to have to spend my time to code
proper logging inside of MySQL which is a major bummer but being as there's
no way to track down errors without logs well I'm kinda stuck.

No I'm not picking on you personally, but I am picking on MySQL and MySQL
AB.  I've had this problem with MySQL before and that's why I prefer
personally other DBs, I however, don't get to make this choice, it's the
thousands of webhosting clients that make it, not me.

!DSPAM:422e09f281225276021141!