Homam S.A. wrote:

In the documentation, it doesn't mention which version
of MySQL supports the CASE statement, but it refers to
stored procedures, so is it only supported for 5.x?

I can't get any example of a CASE statement work in
MySQL.

<snipped>

For example, I can execute the following in MS SQL
Server:

UPDATE MyTable
SET
field1 = CASE WHEN field3 = 1 THEN 10 ELSE 20 END,
field2 = field2 | CASE WHEN field4 = 'B' THEN 1 ELSE 0
END | CASE WHEN field4 = 'C' THEN 2 ELSE 0 END

Case works in 4.0.x ( and maybe before, haven't checked ).
Your problem is elsewhere.
I'm not sure if you can use the pipe symbol as an OR operator in the way you want - to be honest I haven't used it at all in SQL.
Try rewriting it to use nothing but case statements ( no | operators ).

--
Daniel Kasak
IT Developer