Are you running server or client?

Up until this week I've always run MySQL on OS X client, since there really isn't much of a difference between OS X client and server as far as MySQL is concerned. I just ran into the problem where I locked myself out, but I couldn't start MySQL from the command line or the MySQL preferences pane (which I don't normally use). Deleting and reinstalling MySQL still didn't let me startup from the command line. I've installed MySQL many times before on OS X with no problems starting and stopping from the command line, so this was weird and frustrating.
I stumbled across Apple's MySQL Manager in the applications folder, a program which I had totally forgotten about because it is so lame. I launched that and saw there were two buttons, Start and Install (that's management!?). I pressed install and then start, after that, MySQL was running and I could stop and start from the command line. Not sure what Apple is doing here, although I do see entries in the system.log about sending a command to mahelper. Maybe it has something to do with the watchddog program wanting to manage the process. Haven't looked into that yet.

Anyway, if you are running server, that's something to try. If not, well, perhaps I just told everyone a nice story.