Carlos,
Apart from using the proper indexes, you should only retrieve the number of rows that are going to be displayed on the page at one time. If you are displaying 10 rows on the page, why retrieve 1000 rows? The user would have to page through it 100x and you have to ask yourself, is this likely going to happen for every user? If not, then you are wasting CPU cycles.

It is better to use "Select ... 10,10" which is the offset, limit. Keep increasing the offset (starting at 0) for each time the user presses "Next page". MySQL will then retrieve only 10 rows at a time. This is 100x faster than retrieving all 1000 rows at a time.

Mike