At 11:01 -0500 3/10/05, Caron, Christian wrote:
> > mysql> show grants for user3;
 > +-----------------------------------+
 > | Grants for [EMAIL PROTECTED]                |
 > +-----------------------------------+
 > | GRANT USAGE ON *.* TO 'user3'@'%' |
 > +-----------------------------------+
 > 1 row in set (0.00 sec)
 >
 > what am I doing wrong?

Near the bottom it says:
 USAGE   ||    Synonym for ``no privileges''

 So, you succesfully removed all privileges!

That's something that always bugged me... If you really want to remove a user from your interface, you'll have to do it manually in the table. But why has it been implemented this way?

If I want to remove a user, I don't want him/her to have no privileges, I
want him/her to be completely out of the database...

Anyone knows why they chose this route?

You might want to use DROP USER instead:

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/drop-user.html

--
Paul DuBois, MySQL Documentation Team
Madison, Wisconsin, USA