There's nothing wrong with polling as long as it's
moderate and it doesn't lock resources.

On a heavily updated table in a large volumen site, it
scales much better than nasty triggers or events
firing all over the place.

Triggers are intended to maintain internal database
consistency by enforcing business rules at the DB
tier. They're not meant for event notification of
external applications, especially if you're holding
the transaction hostage until the remote call is
completed.

As someone mentioned here, asynchronous events
(fire'n'forget) in some DBMS systems are much better
suited to this because they don't don't prolong
transactions, and subsequently locks on resources.

I think the best choice in your scenario is to use
adaptive polling: Track the average of DELTA (new
records added between polls) over time, and adjust the
polling internval accordingly.

For example, if the current average DELTA is 100, and
the new DELTA was 120, then you decrease the polling
interval proportionally but not less than MIN value,
and if it was 80, then you increase the polling
interval proportionally but not greater than MAX
value.

This way you can adapt well to surges in events and
prevent queue buildups.

Homam

--- Michael Gale <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>