Hi!

From: Philippe Poelvoorde <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: mysql@lists.mysql.com
Subject: Re: Queries inside UDF
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2005 08:22:46 +0000

You can actually access a DB within a UDF, but you should do the same than when you're using the C api of mysql. So you need a way to get database name, user/passwd and port without user-input, and do mysql_init, mysql_connect, mysql_query, and so on, like when you are accessing that database using a 'external' C program. Also bear in mind that it should be thread-safe ;)
a way to extend udf, is ... stored procedure ?

Yes I did it ... look my first post (http://lists.mysql.com/mysql/181361)
There you can find and example of a C-code I used to write my UDF ... but when using the UDF inside MySQL I've got "Can't connect to MySQL server on 'localhost' (111)"

Instead compiling the C-code as stand-alone program (removing the xxx_init/xxx_deinit functions and adding a main) all is OK, the query is executed and the program normally exits.

I can't use stored procedure because the target DB is the 4.0.21
Currently I'm working on MySQL 4.1.10a on my devel station ... but the production station is 4.0.21
(all installed as RPM x86).

So please look at the C-code and tell me if it's wrong ... as alternative you can post me a working example of UDF containing MySQL query execution.

Thanks!

-- Marco

--
Philippe Poelvoorde