On Mar 18, 2005, at 4:16 AM, Daniel Hawker wrote:

Curiouser and curiouser said Alice...

When you say *it seems to be the first connect* do you mean in a page,
ie the first connect/disconnect takes ages but then any subsequent
connects are fine)

Exactly. If I use pconnect the first one takes on average 5 seconds. The remain ones are 0 because they are already open. mysql_connect takes 5 seconds for each one.

Equally the fact that you can run the SQL queries locally (with no
latency) and that PHP and HTML pages (with no SQL queries contained) run
fine, would seem to insinuate the problem is with how PHP communicates
with MySQL, rather than an underlying problem with either MySQL or
PHP/Apache. You could check your my.cnf and php.ini files and see if
they have corrupted themselves or similar. May be worth checking out the
mysql.sock location and its privileges. It may be finding it hard to
locate/create the sock file and hence is taking a long time to do the
first query.

Restating apache resets the issue i.e. the next pconnects takes 5 seconds. Quitting the browser has no effect. I am currently testing now to see if there is a time out issue i.e. if I wait 5 minutes will the delay reappear?

Dan T