> I don't think so. You already have the country's name in it's own language
> on the countryToLanguage table, don't you? What name in which language is
> the "defaultName" column supposed to represent? If you can define what the
> *contents* of that field is supposed to be, then you should be able to
> decide on which table it should reside.
>
> Normalization has a lot to do about reducing duplication. It appears that
> you have two fields that represent "the name of a country". How many names
> does each country get to have in your database? What is the best way of
> storing "the name(s) of a country" that meets YOUR business needs?

You pointed our  the problem.

The country has different names in different languages. One of the names is
the default name. So you could introduce a flag default yes/no in table
countryToLanguage.  Is that normalised? The answer should be yes, but you have
to introduce an additional column, which increases the space hold by the
table. Then if you normalise, you introduce un useful information (i.e. the
information that a language is not the default language, which means filling
the column with 0 when it is not the default).

What do you think?

--
symbulos partners
-.-