But you can use column aliases in a HAVING clause (a simple mistake when
you are typing as fast as you are thinking). The other option is to put
the CONCAT(...) into the WHERE clause in place of the alias. Either way,
you will absolutely NOT be using an index to search that table. You will
need to scan the results of each CONCAT() for each row (at least as long
as a full table scan would take).

Shawn Green
Database Administrator
Unimin Corporation - Spruce Pine

"mel list_php" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote on 03/23/2005 12:24:42 PM:

> Unfortunatly I can't use the alias txt in the where clause:
> Standard SQL doesn't allow you to refer to a column alias in a WHERE
clause.
> This is because when the WHERE code is executed, the column value may
not
> yet be determined. For example, the following query is illegal:
>
> SELECT id, COUNT(*) AS cnt FROM tbl_name WHERE cnt > 0 GROUP BY id;
>
> http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/problems-with-alias.html
>

> >From: Peter Brawley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> >To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> >CC: mel list_php <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,  mysql@lists.mysql.com
> >Subject: Re: search through one/several tables
> >Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2005 10:46:10 -0600
> >
> >Shawn, Mel
> >
> > >I am not aware of any SQL dialect that supports a query of the kind
you
> > >are asking about. If there were such a query it _might_ look
something
> > >like this
> >
> > >SELECT <column list>
> > >FROM <table reference>
> > >WHERE ANY_COLUMN(<column name list>) LIKE <search parameter>
> >
> >Right, but Mel can emulate your ANY_COLUMN with something like
> >
> >  SELECT CONCAT( col1, ..., colN ) AS txt
> >  FROM tbl
> >  WHERE txt LIKE '%foobar%';
> >
> >PB
> >
> >-----
> >
> >[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> >
> >>I am not aware of any SQL dialect that supports a query of the kind
you
> >>are asking about. If there were such a query it _might_ look something

> >>like this
> >>
> >>SELECT <column list>
> >>FROM <table reference>
> >>WHERE ANY_COLUMN(<column name list>) LIKE <search parameter>
> >>
> >>but like I said, I can't think of any SQL server that has a function
like
> >>ANY_COLUMN() or its equivalent. Sorry! I think you will need to do a
> >>column-by-column comparison (especially if you want to use LIKE or
RLIKE).

> >>Shawn Green
> >>Database Administrator
> >>Unimin Corporation - Spruce Pine
> >>
> >>"mel list_php" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote on 03/23/2005 11:08:56
AM: