Paul Groves wrote:
Jigal van Hemert wrote:

From: "Paul Groves"

SELECT * FROM object WHERE description REGEXP '[[:<:]]elbow[[:>:]]';

There are records in the object table that have the following
description fields (as test data):

elbows ligaments
elbowed ligaments
My elbow
elbow joint
Whose elbow is that

The query should, as far as I can tell from
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/regexp.html, be returning the last
three records, but is returning nothing... any ideas? Thanks

First try: SELECT 'My elbow' REGEXP '[[:<:]]elbow[[:>:]]'; and SELECT 'elbowed ligaments' REGEXP '[[:<:]]elbow[[:>:]]'; to see whether the regular expression are working correctly.

Yes, these both work fine... which makes me think there is something wrong with my syntax for my query, but I don't know what...

Er... correction, it seems to work okay now, not sure what I was doing wrong before, sorry!

BTW is there anyway to speed up the search, as I think this may be pretty slow (there will be about 25000 records in the real database...) e.g. maybe by doing a LIKE match for "%elbow%" first then doing a REGEXP within that? Not sure how one would code the SQL for that, though...

regards

Paul