I want to allow some users to SELECT, INSERT, UPDATE all columns in a table EXCEPT 1 (last one). Is it possile in MYSQL and how?

So my question is :

What COLUMN_INSERT privilege does? How can I INSERT_COLUMN without having to insert whole row? Does COLUMN_INSERT = TABLE_INSERT?
I've found some answers in Manual but:
" In MySQL, if you have the INSERT privilege on only some of the columns in a table, you can execute INSERT statements on the table; the columns for which you don't have the INSERT privilege are set to their default values. Standard SQL requires you to have the INSERT privilege on all columns."
1. What about UPDATE privilege:
2. "the columns for which you don't have the INSERT privilege are set to their default values." seems incorrect:
When i try to INSERT or UPDATE last column for which I have only TABLE_SELECT privilege using MySQL Front 2.5 on Mysql 4.0.24 server it's OK ?!?! Value changed and visible from everywhere! NO error(s)... Mysql Front uses older client dll (3.23 I think) but shouldn't this rule be enforced from server (side) not client (side)? MySQL Front 3.0+ behaves corectly : SQL Error 1142 UPDATE COMMAND denied to user ... for table tbl_name.

yet again if I try the same with latest MySQl Query Browser 1.1.6:
! UPDATE command denied to user: '[EMAIL PROTECTED]' for table 'tbl_name'
Nothing changes

P.S. How older client cheats newest server is still mistery to me...