I'm running multiple mysql servers on a local network. One of them has an additional network interface to the outside world. This server is the only one properly resolving any hostnames. All other servers fail to resolv anything.

I'm running bind9 named for my outside domain and a local domain and I've notices the Mysql daemons except the one with outside link, fail to do any domain lookup, there are no packets sent over port 53, while the Mysql daemon with outside link properly does a lookup request on port 53 to my name daemon.

Using IPs all is fine, replication starts normally, but when using the hostnames, the Mysql daemon fails to connect to it's master with "Error: Unknown MySQL server host 'afterparty.local' (2)' errno: 2005."

All other applications properly do lookups, inclusing Apache, PHP, exim4 and courier-mta.

So, to summarize. IP works, hostname doesn't.
On the server with outside link, hostname works, using the same my.cnf, hosts, resolv.conf and host.conf.
Same libc too.
Same Mysql version too (4.1.8 icc version, I've tried 4.1.10a to no avail)

Can anyone thing of anything that might cause this? Many thanks!

Thomas