I have a query of the form:

(SELECT A, B from X ORDER BY A LIMIT 1000)
UNION ALL
(SELECT A, B from Y ORDER BY A LIMIT 1000)
ORDER BY A

I thought may be each query needs to start with
SELECT, so I wrapped the above query in a
derived-table expression like:

SELECT * FROM (
(SELECT A, B from X ORDER BY A LIMIT 1000)
UNION ALL
(SELECT A, B from Y ORDER BY A LIMIT 1000)
ORDER BY A
) as MyAlias

But MySQL refuses to execute it and gave me this
error:

Error Code : 1248
Every derived table must have its own alias

Now when I gave each SELECT part of the UNION query
its own alias, as the above error message suggests,
MySQL still won't execute it and gave me a syntax
error.

Is there a way to force MySQL to cache the above
query, or at least fool it into caching it?

Thanks,

Homam