Gleb Paharenko wrote:

Thanks for the reply.

See:

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/problems-with-character-sets.html

Yeah Thanks - seen that already.

Check that you have the charsets directory in c:\mysql\share.

Again, thanks, but that doesn't actually solve the issue.
There are entries in the Index file for the appropriate language number. There isn't, however, an xml file for the language (utf8 in this instance). I've tried changing the server default character set to cp1251. I've recreated complete databases from scratch making sure that the character set it uses is cp1251. None of the above have worked.

Any other thoughts?

This is mySQL 4.1.10-nt on win2003 server giving :
File 'c:\mysql\share\charsets\?.conf' not found (Errcode: 22) Character set '#33' is not a compiled character set and is not specified in the 'c:\mysql\share\charsets\Index' file
which is classified as Bug number 312 (http://bugs.mysql.com/bug.php?id=312)

Regards

Stephen