On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 08:49:13 -0500, Brent Baisley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Wow, you are asking a lot, especially since an inexpensive UPS could be
> had for less than $50. You don't need one to keep the system up for a
> long time, just long enough for writes to finish. A few minutes should
> be plenty.

I know it's weird. It's not about technical issues or money. It's just
one of those "different" situations.

> Whatever file system you use, I would most definitely use journaling.
> First and foremost you need the system in a good state, then the DB.

There are two disks in the system, one with the OS, the other with the database.
The OS drive is, i believe, almost fail-proof: the write cache is
turned off, plus it's Ext3 with data=journal. Those settings bring a
major performance hit, but that's ok on the OS drive, which is
sparsely used.
But i cannot force the same settings on the DB drive without risking
the performance to drop through the floor. Well, maybe data=journal (i
have to experiment).

> Journaling in the file system will also help in keeping the database
> intact. Raw partitions would buy you so little performance gain, it's
> really not worth the hassle.

Wouldn't raw partitions fail less often if the power is yanked, just
because there are fewer components to fail?
I mean, if the database is on top of a FS, it's the database and the
FS that can fail. On a raw partition, it's just the database.
Or am i missing something?

--
Florin Andrei

http://florin.myip.org/