Thanks Dan,

I ran myisamchk as you suggested. The detailed results are below, but
in summary there's no difference between the two indices. Perhaps
mysql doesn't want to pack the key for some reason? I'm running
FreeBSD 4.1.

Checking MyISAM file: /home/y/var/mysql/data/Test/Unpacked.MYI
Data records:  100000   Deleted blocks:       0
myisamchk: warning: 1 client is using or hasn't closed the table properly
- check file-size
- check record delete-chain
- check key delete-chain
- check index reference
- check data record references index: 1
Key:  1:  Keyblocks used:  98%  Packed:    0%  Max levels:  3
Total:    Keyblocks used:  98%  Packed:    0%

- check records and index references

Records:            100000    M.recordlength:        9   Packed:             0%
Recordspace used:      100%   Empty space:           0%  Blocks/Record:   1.00
Record blocks:      100000    Delete blocks:         0
Record data:        900000    Deleted data:          0
Lost space:              0    Linkdata:              0
MyISAM-table '/home/y/var/mysql/data/Test/Unpacked.MYI' is usable but
should be fixed

User time 0.25, System time 0.00
Maximum resident set size 3044, Integral resident set size 580664
Non-physical pagefaults 660, Physical pagefaults 0, Swaps 0
Blocks in 0 out 0, Messages in 9 out 0, Signals 0
Voluntary context switches 8, Involuntary context switches 135

Checking MyISAM file: /home/y/var/mysql/data/Test/Packed.MYI
Data records:  100000   Deleted blocks:       0
myisamchk: warning: 1 client is using or hasn't closed the table properly
- check file-size
- check record delete-chain
- check key delete-chain
- check index reference
- check data record references index: 1
Key:  1:  Keyblocks used:  98%  Packed:    0%  Max levels:  3
Total:    Keyblocks used:  98%  Packed:    0%

- check records and index references

Records:            100000    M.recordlength:        9   Packed:             0%
Recordspace used:      100%   Empty space:           0%  Blocks/Record:   1.00
Record blocks:      100000    Delete blocks:         0
Record data:        900000    Deleted data:          0
Lost space:              0    Linkdata:              0
MyISAM-table '/home/y/var/mysql/data/Test/Packed.MYI' is usable but
should be fixed

User time 0.24, System time 0.01
Maximum resident set size 3052, Integral resident set size 666608
Non-physical pagefaults 660, Physical pagefaults 0, Swaps 0
Blocks in 0 out 0, Messages in 9 out 0, Signals 0
Voluntary context switches 8, Involuntary context switches 141

If anyone has any ideas about this....please let me know.
- Julian