As my company and I understand it, if you intend on distributing mySQL on
this appliance and the appliance is a sealed box with your own proprietary
code (like PHP or C or Java or whatever) that interfaces to the
STOCK/Untouched RDBMS, you NEED a mySQL Commercial License.

This license is a ridiculous $600 per unit which makes it completely
unrealistic for any large scale deployment!!! I mean, I don't mind paying
someone for their work, but I was thinking more like $50 per unit, not > 10
times that.

If someone from mySQL can clarify that would be great, but this is how I
read the license and that's why we've stuck to v4.0.18 which was GPL.

http://www.mysql.com/company/legal/licensing/opensource-license.html

"Our software is 100% GPL (General Public License); if yours is 100% GPL
compliant, then you have no obligation to pay us for the licenses. "

"Free use for those who never copy, modify or distribute. As long as you
never distribute the MySQL Software in any way, you are free to use it for
powering your application, irrespective of whether your application is under
GPL license or not."

"If you are a private individual you are free to use MySQL software for your
personal applications as long as you do not distribute them. If you
distribute them, you must make a decision between the Commercial License and
the GPL."

http://www.mysql.com/company/legal/licensing/commercial-license.html

"Building a hardware system that includes MySQL and selling that hardware
system to customers for installation at their own locations."

"If you include the MySQL server with an application that is not licensed
under the GPL or GPL-compatible license, you need a commercial license for
the MySQL server."