We have one master and one slave database and use the slave for reads.
If for some reason our master goes down,
we would like to make our slave the master and use it for both writes
and reads and then switch to the original configuration
when the master is up, which includes updating the master copy. Limited
downtime/locking of the second database is OK.

Is this something that is easy to do or recommended? If so, what steps
we need to go through or where can I find isome nformation regarding
this? If not, what other approachs are there (assuming we only have two
machines w/ above configuration).

Thanks,

-JF