I upgraded my local mysql version to 4.1.10a and the below query finally works :)

How can I now amend the query so it works on my remote server running mysql 3.23.58 ? From one headache to another ;)

SELECT (

SELECT City
FROM Cities
WHERE CityID = N.CityID
), N.Distance
FROM Cities C
JOIN Nbc N ON C.CityID = N.PrimaryCityID
WHERE C.City = 'Los Angeles'
AND N.Distance <20

many many thanks to all those that replied :)