I have table with only one column set to latin1_general_ci collation,
and I get following error:
*Illegal mix of collations (latin1_general_cs,IMPLICIT) and
(utf8_general_ci,COERCIBLE) for operation '='*
Client (PHP5 with mysql functions) uses utf-8 character set. MySQL is
4.1.10a. When I change collation of that column everything works fine.
MySQL server knows client's character set, it knows column's character
set but refuses to do conversion. I tried using other latin1 collations
and here's result.

latin1_bin OK
latin1_danish_ci BAD
latin1_general_ci BAD
latin1_general_cs BAD
latin1_german1_ci BAD
latin1_german2_ci OK
latin1_spanish_ci BAD
latin1_sweedish_ci OK

All latin2 collations are OK.

Possible cause of error is utf8 word containing characters that don't
exist in latin1 character set. For example:
"SELECT * FROM table WHERE word='abaÅur'". But shouldn't all latin1
collatins return same error?

I also noticed that PHP's mysqli query function doesn't fail with error.
It just returns empty set.