Greetings,

I sent this mail to the list a week ago, but haven't seen any replies
... surely someone on this list must have some ideas?

Suppose I have a MySQL server which processes lots of queries that
cannot use indexes on VARCHAR fields because they involve REGEXP
clauses and LIKE '%...%', most of them also having an ORDER BY. Both
MyISAM and InnoDB tables. What would be the best server variables to
tune in that case?

I can think of these: sort_buffer, tmp_table_size, perhaps
read_rnd_buffer_size? Do these make sense? Any other ideas?

Thanks,
Jan Pieter Kunst