Hello.

You may specify the configuration file to mysqld_safe with --defaults-file

command line option. `basedir` variable points to location of MySQL

installation. Have you installed MySQL to /var/lib/mysql? When you'll be  able

to login to the server, what does the following statement produce:

  show variables like 'datadir';

       <___/   www.mysql.com