Hi,

I'm a bit confused about whether I need to purchase a license in the
following situation. Different sources (MySQL by Paul DuBois and the MySQL
doc) differ in certain aspects, I assume the doc is more accurate, but even
still, I want to make sure.

I would like to install MySQL on my server and use it as the back-end for a
website. CGI programs will be written in C/C++, which handle all the MySQL
access. They are linked with the mysqlclient library in order to accomplish
this. The website will be of a commercial nature. I do not plan to
distribute the applications, as they will be designed specifically for this
site. I would generate income by running the applications myself. Do I need
a license in this situation? The book mentions those who offer services
that use (require) MySQL and generate income require a license, while I do
not see this mentioned in the doc. The doc only mentions building software
that is not free, which requires MySQL.

Second situation: If others have access to my server and I would like to
make MySQL accessible to them (and they pay for access to the server,
however MySQL is only one of the many things offered to them), do I need a
license?

This may seem obvious to some, but I would like to be absolute sure.

TIA

Alec Solway