At 12:22 PM 4/4/2005, you wrote:
I have been struggling to maintain decent performance on a web/database server for a good 6 months now due to MySQL performance issues. I have decided that my best option at this point is to take it to the list, so in advance, I thank you all for taking a look.

There is no error messages that can be posted, so I will try and describe what's happening as best I can.

I am joining 3 tables in one query. I have had numerous people examine the queries and all have given their stamp of approval. What happens when I run it is MySQL takes the processor for a ride, spiking it to 100% until I restart mysqld.

The tables range from 50,000 to 85,000 records, and the join is only supposed to return 1 record.

My question to you is this: are there changes I can make to the configuration to improve performance? --or-- is data de-normalization my best option?

Is there any more information you need from me to answer this question?

Current setup:
2.4ghz Pentium 4, 1gb ram, 360gb 4-disc raid 5 array w/ 3ware chassis and card, fedora core 3 w/ all patches and updates, selinux -disabled-, mysql 4.1.10a, MyISAM table format.

Again, thank you all in advance,
Jason

Jason,
Try running "Analyze Table" on each of the tables. This will rebalance the index and get rid of deleted space. Returning one row from a 3 table join should take only ms if you're using indexes properly.

Mike