This should work for mysqldump just as it does for mysql. What, precisely, do you mean by "does not appear to work"? Describe what happens. Do you get an error, or unexpected results? If an error, what's the error message? If unexpected results, what do you expect, and what do you get? Are you running mysqldump from the command line, or as a cron job?

Michael