Hello

I've just run into deep troubles while upgrading from 4.0.24 to 4.1.10a
using precomiled Debian packages on Debian Woody although I read the
comments regarding upgrading on dev.mysql.com.

After starting the new server and running "mysqlcheck -r -v -A", I
experienced the following problems on about 15% of my tables (seemed
to be quite random, i.e. not only the biggest or most used ones):

        beta_hardware_verwaltung.hardware_log
        info     : Found wrong packed record at 0
        info     : Found wrong packed record at 56
        info     : Found wrong packed record at 112
        info     : Found wrong packed record at 168
        info     : Found wrong packed record at 244
        info     : Found block that points outside data file at 47476
        info     : Found wrong packed record at 47736
        info     : Found block with too small length at 47748; Skipped
        info     : Found wrong packed record at 48020
        warning  : Number of rows changed from 883 to 4
        status   : OK

Luckily I made dumps before. Interesting to see was, that I could
copy a table with /bin/cp still do a "SELECT *" from it but it, too,
got emptied by a REPAIR statement.

In the incompatibility list in the documentation some cases are
mentioned where one has to do a REPAIR. But in which cases a repair
does have such problems?

Of course I did do a CHECK TABLE on all tables before upgrading, and
I never used something different than latin1 nor table sizes near 4GB.
All tables were checked and dumped on a regular basis without problems.

After recreating them I had no further problems so far.

bye,

-christian-

--
Christian Hammers             WESTEND GmbH  |  Internet-Business-Provider
Technik                       CISCO Systems Partner - Authorized Reseller