Classification:  UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: NONE

All,
I'm getting the not-so-mysterious error in my slave log file as follows:

[ERROR] Error reading packet from server: log event entry exceeded
max_allowed_packet; Increase max_allowed_packet on master
(server_errno=1236)
[ERROR] Got fatal error 1236: 'log event entry exceeded max_allowed_packet;
Increase max_allowed_packet on master' from master when reading data from
binary log

What's puzzling is that I've increased the max_allowed_packet to various
sizes (including 1GB+) in both master and slave my.cnf files and verified
that both are set properly with show variables from within the mysql shell.
The problem continues to exist however, despite any size change for that
specific variable.  I read the HYPERLINK
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/packet-too-large.html
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/packet-too-large.html post re: this issue
and even tried modifying the net_buffer_length variable.  I still continue
to get this error and replication is, of course, not working.
Running 2.4.9-e.49smp Linux (RH AS 2.1) and mysql  Ver 14.7 Distrib 4.1.10a,
for pc-linux-gnu (i686).
Any insight greatly appreciated.
Tate